Good Morning Years 3 and 4
Here is your home learning for today:
As always, don't forget to share your learning on Kids Zone - we love to see you all and find out what you have been doing.
The work that we would like you to email to us this week is (email@example.com) -
Mondays maths - Y3 Compare capacity Y4 Lines of symmetry
Fridays English - Y3 Poem Y4 Diary
Friday is Family Challenge day on White Rose Maths.
These challenges become progressively more difficult as you work through them. The idea is to work together to solve as many as you can.
Friday Maths Challenge Link
Here you will find links to the activity, the answers for when you have finished and an additional link to download a certificate for when you have completed them.
Post your certificates on Kids Zone so that we can share your success with you.
For English lessons, we use Oak National Academy. When you visit the website, you will be able to view the full week's English lesson but please only complete one per day. See below for the direct link to today's English lesson.
Year 3 - Writing Lesson (Poem)
Year 4 - Writing Lesson (Diary)
Wider Curriculum - Science experiment
Lets get experimenting! Lets finish with a wow!
- A clean plastic bottle, try to use one with smooth sides
- Vegetable Oil (or you could use Mineral or Baby Oil instead)
- Fizzing tablets (such as Alka Seltzer)
- Food Coloring
- Fill the bottle up about 1/4th (1 quarter) with water.
- Pour the vegetable oil in the bottle until is almost full. You may want to use a measuring cup with a spout or a funnel. You may have to wait a couple of minutes for the oil and water to separate.
- Add a few drops of your favorite food coloring. Watch as the color sinks through the oil. Did your drops of color mix with the water immediately or float in between for a few minutes?
- Break your fizzy tablet in half and drop part of it into the bottle. Get ready … here come the bubbly blobs!
- You can even get a flashlight, turn off the lights and drop in another half tablet. This time shine the flashlight through the lava lamp while the blobs are bubbling!
How it Works:
The oil floats on top of the water because it is less dense or lighter than water. The food coloring has the same density as the water so it sink through the oil and mixes with the water. When you add the tablet it sinks to the bottom then starts to dissolve. As it dissolves it makes gas, carbon dioxide. Gas or air, is lighter than water so it floats to the top. The air bubbles bring some colored water with them to the top. When the air comes out of the colored water blob, the water gets heavy again and sinks. It does this over and over again until the tablet is completely dissolved.
If you liked this experiment why not have a go at the same experiment but make some changes:
What happens if you put the cap on after dropping the fizzy tablet in?
What if you drop a whole tablet in?
When it stops bubbling, try sprinkling some salt into your lava lamp. What happens?
Read books, leaflets, comics, whatever you can find!
Read to yourself, read to your parents/carers, read to older or younger sisters or brothers, read to extended family or friends over video call - Just read!
Year 4 Reading for the start of Year 5 in September
Here are the links to the texts we would like you to have read before returning to school as Year 5 in September.
Jaberwocky poem: https://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/for-school/oxford-owl-ebook-collection
The Ickabog: https://www.theickabog.com/read-the-story/
Keep practising your times tables regularly. Log in to your Times Tables Rock Stars account using the username and password that you have been given.
Or use one of these sites to practise the times tables multiplication check:
Maths with Parents:
Remember to complete the activities set on Maths with Parents
Use the Active Fusion PE from Home resource pack below to complete fun PE lessons.